The first catholic church in Laurieton was opened by Dr Murray, Bishop of Maitland, in 1899. By the early 50s, the old church, which seated about 40 people, became overwhelmed as population grew in the area. In January 1958 a new church/hall was built. It was blessed and opened by Bishop Toohey next door to the original church and could seat 200. Further extensions were made in 1968. In 1984, after the third Laurieton church was built, the old church/hall was moved to the new site where it continues to serve as the parish hall.
The current church is a white brick structure dedicated to St Peter the Fisherman. It was opened in 1985. In 1995 the construction of the reflective garden began, the brainchild of the parish priest, Fr John Casey. It is now a majour tourist attraction and attracts visitors nationwide and internationally.
St John the Evangelist